“Discover the antidote to dating a narcissist: empathy toward yourself! Embrace your inner strength.”
Have you ever felt distraught or found it hard to move on after dating someone who was self-centered? If so, your partner might have been a narcissist, or a person with narcissistic tendencies. Did your partner:
- isolate you from your friends to maintain control over you?
- make him or herself feel good by putting you down?
- chip away at your self-esteem?
- only give you a compliment when you were about to leave?
- These are some of the traits of a narcissist or someone with narcissistic tendencies.
Only a psychiatrist can diagnose a narcissistic personality disorder, though the broad definition of a narcissist is someone who:
- expects to be recognized as superior or special, without superior accomplishments.
- expects constant attention and admiration from others.
- is preoccupied with thoughts and fantasies of success.
- lacks the ability to empathize with the feelings of others.
In short, a narcissist is arrogant and expects special treatment — whether or not he or she does things to warrant it. If you’re wondering whether your partner could have been a narcissist, it helps to know these basic traits. In this article, you will learn how to regain your confidence and put your life back on track after dating a narcissist or someone with these tendencies.